Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sewing Adventures: Doggy Coat!


Hey everyone! It's Lin here with a new blog post. Sorry it took so long...there's been a lot of things that been going on, including lots of distractions and the like. I did get a LOT of sewing done within the last 2 weeks though. The next two posts will be about the projects I worked on. But this post will be about one of them...a dual sided coat I made for my doggy, Nia!



So why did I even want to work on this coat? Well for one, it's already March...the rainy season is coming! And knowing this, I wanted to get a coat for Nia. Issue is...doggy coats are expensive. Seriously. And not all of them can be dual used! Most of the time you would need to get two separate coats instead. So I decided...hey. I'm going to make her a dog coat. Because I need to work on my sewing anyway!

The first pattern I decided on was a nice, comfortable flannel...it's the side that's mostly shown with the monkeys and hearts. This is the side that Nia would be using during warmer, non-rainy days. The strap fabric is also the soft flannel and are the pink and white star pattern, which straps around her neck and belly area.

Sorry I had to take it via the bed...x_x Hope it came out okay though.
The other side is a utility fabric in yellow. Waterproof and cool to the touch, it protects Nia from rain. The flannel on the other side is nice, because it keeps her warm and cozy while it's raining. The straps are also the same fabric.

Featuring Aurora being really curious as to what the heck this thing is. Also, you might notice that there's a button hole in the top middle of the piece? That's where if, the dog is wearing a harness, the hooks can peek out of comfortably.

Now you might've heard me talking about the straps. They're held on the other side with buttons. The straps themselves have button holes to assist in this. Each side has different kinds of buttons, though. The yellow, waterproof side has simple white buttons, but the flannel side has gold buttons.

The four golden buttons on the side of the coat, the one that keeps everything together.
Any alterations I would do? A few. One, I would maybe try to either put another strap around the belly or try to put another buttonhole on the straps, because the coat tends to hang on Nia to the side a little bit, so I wanna put a few more buttonholes in the straps to make it straight. Secondly, I want to put an attachable hood on it for rainy days, so Nia's head doesn't get all wet. I think that'd be a good addition.

Anyway! I hope you liked this post. If you would like the pattern, please feel free to send me a message, comment, or email me! Thanks!