Friday, March 7, 2014

Cosplay Part 1: A New Sewing Machine Get!

Hey everyone, it's Lin with the first fashion post I've ever made on Symphonic Reverie...exciting! Two days ago I got a sewing machine at an extremely reasonable price along with some awesome fabrics. This is my first sewing machine and I am an extreeeeme novice....I've never sewn before. But if you read my section of the 'About' page, I do have experience with crochet and knitting and other yarny crafts.

Janome 1117s. Works perfectly! :> I think it's pretty damn adorable.
10 stitch types;
4 step button hole system


I also got a craft table for my room so I can stay in there foreeeever and do all my craft stuff. :> It makes me very happy! Speaking of other crafts, I've been water coloring more recently...probably something I'll show in another post.

Just to let you know, I needed a sewing machine because I planned on making a cosplay for Lulu from League of Legends for a convention (Otakon) in August...so that means all kinds of fabrics are going to be bought. I'm probably going to showing my whole process on this blog, including taking pictures of fabrics I'm getting and tools I'm going to be using.

I also got yards of fabric from the same woman. A large variety of them that I'm really excited to use. I'm planning on starting out with making a bag or something like it. There are plenty of free sewing patterns that I've seen online. Sites such as this help. I'm currently trying to make a bag using Needle and Spatula's pattern. I'll probably use the second fabric you see below as the inside of it (it's thin and sheer) and either the third fabric and the last fabric as the bag itself, either one as the accent and base.

The fabrics that came with the sewing machine. The first two are sheer and thin and slightly see through.
So far I've only made a test scarf using the fourth fabric. The fabrics itself actually looks sort of...oriental to me and reminded me of traditional Japanese patterns are like. It's so interesting. What cool fabrics I've seen so far! I can't wait to really work with them. I'm also excited to get the fabric for my cosplay. Hibiki is going to the same con as PAX Jax too!