Saturday, March 8, 2014

Our First Creation!


Hey everyone! Another fashiony, artsy post from Lin, this time with an actual product! Yesterday Hibiki and I went to the store to get an iron and an ironing board to finally start working on some projects...I had heard pressing is absolutely needed when it comes to sewing, so we went and got one. The iron is a Rowenta Effective Comfort Iron with vertical steam, auto shut off sprayer and a knob where you can adjust the temperature depending on the fabric you're working with.




The ironing board is a table top ironing board by Dritz. It's a tabletop ironing board and is 35.5" x 12.25" x 5". So far it's been pretty standard and honestly...it's kind of small working with it, but we'll deal with it. It's our first ironing board afterall.



Okay! So the moment of truth. Here it is! My first project we've ever done with the sewing machine! A tote bag with a decorative fabric on the top. :> Last night, we had started around 11 PM and stopped around 1:30 AM or so. I started it around 9 and stopped aruond 11 or 12. So in total the whole bag took a while...but it was our first time, so we didn't know wtf we were doing, hahaha! I'm sure next time it won't take as long.



The one thing I really love about this bag is the seamlessness between the decorative pattern on the top and the black base part. The princess stitch came out really well.



The inside of the bag is lined with a thin fabric. I've always seen this as a nice touch to fancy leather bags, so I wanted to put it in this one too.



These are the straps that I made...I wanted to make the shoulder area as wider than usual because I hate when straps fall off of my shoulder because they're too thin. I made the rest of the straps small near the bag.



That's our bag! I hope you liked it. :> More to be seen soon......hopefully we can get to work on our actual costumes. the biggest issue, I think, is the striped shirt and leggings. That's about the only thing I'm worried about. Anyway, that's all I've got. See ya.